Bookaroo

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Among the Shadows

Anne of Green Gables and the six books of that series are the cornerstone of the reputation of L M Montgomery, but she has written many other books as well, sought out and enjoyed by her many fans. I ran across Among the Shadows and was diverted by the premise that ties together this collection of short stories. These are tales from the dark side, the jacket promised, showing a grimmer edge than Montgomery's fans are likely to expect.

Truth to tell, I am not one of her die-hard fans. I liked Anne of Green Gables, but that's as far as I got, to the shocked indignation of my daughters, who have read and reread her works. So I cannot comment on how Among the Shadows compares to her better-known works. But I enjoyed it. I dislike horror intensely, but, as one Amazon reviewer put it, these are "ghost stories for people who don't like ghost stories." Within these stories are ghosts, pseudo-ghosts, tragic characters, bad people, redeemed sinners, and the strong flavor of the Canadian Atlantic coast that I find very satisfying. I would definitely read this again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home