Bookaroo

Friday, November 24, 2006

I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!

and other things that strike me as funny.

Bob Newhart has been a fixture in comedy for lo these many years. From his best-selling comedy albums in the sixties, to his two long-running sit-coms, to his current penchant for character roles in comedy movies, he has been ever-present on the Hollywood scene as the wry long-suffering accountant (or dentist or innkeeper).

In I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! (which is a punchline for a joke), Bob talks about his early years, how he gave up accounting for comedy, his marriage, and his career--all with his characteristic deadpan humor. I have always been a fan, so I enjoyed it very much.

Things I learned from this book:
1. Bob has been married for 40 years to the same woman, which I really admire.
2. Bob had two top-selling comedy albums in the 1960s.
3. Bob is, underneath it all, a subversive person, and believes all comedians are.

I can recommend this book to the Bob Newhart fan. And who isn't?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home