Bookaroo

Friday, April 13, 2007

Made to Stick

Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

Chip and Dan Heath are really on to something here. Why can we all remember the somebody-stole-your-kidneys story, but not how mitosis works? The Heath brothers have pooled their expertises (organizational behavior and education consulting) to show us how to make our ideas "sticky"--that is, memorable. (I so could have used this--wait. I can still use this! Woo Hoo!)

The book is enormously worthwhile, and even has a reference guide in the back. But as an enticement, let me state the Six Principles, which spell SUCCESs:
* Simple: how to find and share the core idea
* Unexpected: how to get and hold attention
* Concrete: make abstraction concrete (see Aesop)
* Credible: help people believe you
* Emotional: make people care (I especially like appealing to identity)
* Stories: why shop talk is important, and why you care.

So, read this book. Better still, buy this book, and refer to it often. Better yet, buy me a copy. I will thank you again and again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I love your blog! I am always looking for a good read - and I love that I can look to you for a great review! Keep it up!
I just finished
The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. I highly recommend it! It reads like a novel.
Melissa (your niece)

8:39 AM  
Blogger gamma said...

Thank you!

I meant to read your last recommendation, but I'm in the midst of moving, so my backlog is growing. :0( But I will add Alison Weir to my list; I've seen her name, but didn't know if she was any good. Thanks!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

This is the only book I have recommeded to you. Maybe another niece?
Good luck with the move!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home