Bookaroo

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Words Words Words

So, you like words? How much? This book is all about words. It's small, and the chapters are small, so it's more readable than you would think. But the author, David Crystal, is a top-flight linguist--and a Brit, hence the OBE and the UK-slant that creeps in--and he knows how to use words to discuss words.

Here you will find information on practically every word-related topic: origins, diversity, evolution, and enjoyment. The last section, Becoming a Word Detective, shows you how to find out the history of a word and the meaning of names, how to get involved with dictionaries and dialects, how to estimate the size of your vocabulary and keep a record of your child's words, and how to find out more about words, in case this wasn't enough.

Perhaps it is. It's pretty comprehensive, although short. And I like short.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather C. said...

I just just discovered this blog, I love it! I'm always looking for interesting books to read but so often what looks promising is a sorry waste of time.
I just read a "Crow Lake" by Mary Lawson recently. I found it simple but thoughtful, I liked it. I'm curious as to what either of you would think about it.

Heather (Thomas) Clark

1:37 PM  
Blogger gamma said...

I am happy to try on new authors. Thanks for the recommendation.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home